27/05/2017

How to make a bunting cake topper*

Easy DIY wedding cake bunting


You just can't have a village hall wedding without bunting, eh? At least that's true in my book. So it's only fair that the wedding cake gets a bit of the bunting treatment too! This super easy Mr and Mrs bunting is quick and inexpensive to make, plus you can personalise it with your name or chosen message - 'Just Married' or any cake related quote would also work perfectly.

Now you may be wondering why I've photographed it sitting in a teacup rather than on a cake (!), as I'll be using this at my own wedding later this year I wanted to keep the full reveal for guests on the day. But I'll be sure to share a picture of how it looked after the wedding! 


You will need

Hessian ribbon*
Bondaweb*
White thread*
Hemp cord*
Needle
Scissors
Pencil and ruler
Bamboo kebab skewers 
Iron

How to make your bunting cake decoration

Cut a long length of your ribbon and iron in half. Then using a pencil and ruler mark out your bunting triangles on one side of the ribbon. My triangles are 2.5cm wide.



Using 3 strands of white thread embroider a letter or heart onto each triangle.



Measure and cut a length of bondaweb to go inside your ribbon, make it about 0.5cm thinner than your ribbon.


Iron the rough side of the bondaweb inside of your ribbon leaving the 0.5cm gap near the centre fold.



Peel of the bondaweb backing and iron the other half of the ribbon to the bondaweb.


Cut your triangles out. Thread your hemp cord onto a large eyed needle and thread through your bunting triangles.



Tie either end of each bunting skewer, arrange so that you're happy with the bunting drape and cut excess thread. I've kept mine long in the pictures in case I need to make any adjustments when we put it in the cake.



Ta-dah! A cake decoration fit for a new Mr and Mrs. Obviously you could also make cake bunting for birthdays, anniversaries, Fridays, generally any occasion involving cake! 


*some of the materials for this project were supplied by Sew Crafty, but all tutorials and opinions are my own.





TWITTER | BLOGLOVIN' | PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM | RSS

6 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely idea, thank you so much for sharing this DIY, I'm not very good at craft but I'd love to give this a go.

    Carolyn x
    Faithfully Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely creation! Your wedding is going to be beautiful with all of these personal touches xxx such wonderful ideas ... very best wishes xxx

    Keep Calm and start writing ~
    www.23millymay25.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so creative! This looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's cool! I should try that for my nephew's birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post. I will keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice idea.. thanks for sharing the tips

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...