02/11/2014

Autumn wanderings - a visit to Lancing College Chapel

Despite the return of summer over the last few days (!) last weekend was a wonderfully autumnal one, and extra special as I got to see inside the amazing Lancing College Chapel.

The Chapel sits on top of a hill overlooking Shoreham River and can be seen from quite a distance, so I've spent years driving past it and wanting to see inside (no surprise given my love for historic buildings). We finally made the journey up the hill to coincide with Lancing College's annual craft fair; sadly my Mum and I really didn't think much of the fair. But the Chapel on the other hand was amazing.

It's full of ornate stone and wood carvings, stained glass, chandelier lighting and huge ceilings. I'm so happy we finally got to see inside. Surprisingly it's only about 100 years old too and was built just before the war, it’s newer than Lancing College School whose students use it regularly. Seeing their choir books shelved in the crypt, added a really lovely atmosphere - trying not to make the typical Hogwarts reference here but I can certainly see a similarity...








8 comments:

  1. Looks like a beautiful and tranquil place, and surprisingly new! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning!!! It's an over used word but perfectly describes these photos. Completely hauntingly beautiful and I cannot believe it's less than 100 years old!! And just look at the stained glass window...wow. I want to visit.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The windows and carvings inside were so intricate, must have taken so long to do!

      Delete
  3. It looks stunning! I've been driving past for years too and been itching to have a snoop inside. It's just as lovely as I imagined :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should stop by, it's apparently open everyday :) xxx

      Delete
  4. Absolutely beautiful, it has a French feel to me. Lovely photographs, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes it's quite French gothic isn't it! x

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...